Corrugated HDPE Pipe Characteristics
High-density polyethylene (HDPE) is a versatile material and has some ideal characteristics for use in underground structures. HDPE pipe is relatively lightweight allowing for easier and less costly transportation and installation costs. It is not brittle and therefore not susceptible to cracking during pipe handling and installation activities.
Once formed into a pipe, HDPE has a smooth surface, which is resistant to abrasion, corrosion and chemical scouring. The smooth surface provides excellent pipeline flow characteristics. HDPE pipe is structurally strong and has the ability to support large loads. HDPE has the ability to relax under stress. This characteristic provides advantages for underground structures and also helps define limitations of use. As HDPE pipe is loaded, the pipe relaxes immediately, and over time, allows the load to be transferred to the adjacent soil. This characteristic allows the pipe to off-load points of local stress. Stress relaxation may result in slight pipe reformation over time to accommodate inplace loading conditions. Such re-formations are believed to cause long-term structural stability.
Corrugated HDPE is an excellent choice for gravity flow or low-head pipeline situations. The structural stability of corrugated HDPE pipe is produced by three pipe designs. According to AASHTO M294, they are defined as:
* Type C HDPE Pipe with Interior and Exterior Corrugations
- Type C – This pipe shall have a full circular cross section, with an annular corrugated surface both inside and outside.
- Type S – This pipe is a full circular dual-wall cross section, with an outer corrugated pipe wall and a smooth inner liner.
- Type D – This pipe is a circular cross section consisting of an essentially smooth inner wall joined to an essentially smooth outer wall with annular or spiral connecting elements.
Advantages of Corrugated pipes
Corrugated Pipes made from Polyethylene and Polypropylene raw materials and have a high resistance to corrosion. They have a guaranteed life of 50 years and can be used for 100 years. Since plastics are smooth hydraulic, they high resistance to flow and the fluid flows with a higher filling rate. This advantage to reduces the project costs by selecting a lower diameter group in the project.
* Type S HDPE Pipe with Corrugated Exterior and Smooth Interior
Flexible single wall, double wall and multi-layer corrugated pipe for the protection of cables in automotive and machine construction. Applications also in healthcare, telecommunication and household. › Diameters: from 3 mm i.d. to 200 mm o.d.
- Cable protection: Flexible single wall, double wall and multi-layer corrugated pipe for cable protection, inhouse building, road construction and long-distance circuits. › Diameters: from 10 mm i.d. to 250 mm o.d.
- Drainage: Single, double or triple wall pipe for civil engineering, land and road drainage. › Diameters: from 50 mm o.d. to 1200 mm o.d.
- Sewage and storm water: Double and triple wall pipe for waste water and storm water disposal. › Diameters: from 100 mm i.d. to 2400 mm o.d.