What does Industry 4.0 mean?
Industry 4.0 consist of machines that are constantly interconnected with each other, capable of self-diagnostics and troubleshooting problems that arise during the business process. It is shown how the maintenance capacity of machines on themselves, thanks to IoT (Internet of Things) will be able to exceed in quality and speed, that of human beings. The machines of a company will be able to identify any critical points in the production process and remedy independently. The mechanization will allow the adaptation of the production process to individual customer, making it extremely precise and specialized.
Moreover, the energy supply of future factories will be waste-free and maintained at the lowest possible cost thanks to new energy control and management.
The fourth industrial revolution will bring machines to an even more fundamental role in production processes. The development is happening very fast and it is necessary for every potential business to be aware of the possible benefits related to Industry 4.0, provided that these are well supported.
Industry 4.0 applied to production
The key concept of Industry 4.0 relies on production being able to dynamically adapt to an ever-changing scenario and rapidly evolve to meet changing needs. To ride this trend, large volumes of data must be continuously collected both within and across individual machines and then communicated to the entire ecosystem for evaluation across the various levels of operational technology (OT) and information and communication technology (ICT).
The opportunities linked to the ability to collect and evaluate increasing amounts of data relate to:
- the digitization of all business and production processes
- the creation of industrial value
- the operation and maintenance of plants for greater efficiency and reliability
- the development of completely new business models.
Data is the first step in implementing a digital transformation in an agile and automated way. This process requires the networking of all machines and plants, as well as additional sensors and actuators extended to all locations of the plant.
Orquestra is the Bausano-developed implementation of Industry 4.0 applied to its extrusion lines. The integration of IoT systems and Bausano extrusion lines provides a short time-to-market production and compatibility with existing plants (revamping applications).
- Perform continuous and real-time monitoring of production;
- Generate immediate reports and intuitive graphs on production performance (machinery status, waste, hours worked);
- Intelligently connect all the machines in the field and integrate them with the Orquestra web based platform;
- Collect raw data and transform it into ready-to-use information;
- Have certified and correct data on which to set the analysis of its business and R&D activities
Innovative technologies are bound to become a model to be followed for the entire sector, designed to raise the quality standard of processes and of the final product, offering important strategic resources and new development opportunities:
- monitor all extrusion parameters in real time also in remote mode;
- program the automatic synchronism for production, maintenance and diagnostics;
- save the configuration of the memory module;
- save the selected parameters, upon request or at preset intervals.
Predictive maintenance for industry 4.0 is a method of preventing asset failure by analyzing production data to identify patterns and predict issues before they happen. Until now, factory managers and machine operators carried out scheduled maintenance and regularly repaired extruders parts to prevent downtime.
Implementing industrial IoT technologies to monitor asset health, optimize maintenance schedules, and gaining real time alerts to operational risks, allows manufacturers to lower service costs, maximize uptime, and improve production throughput.
Nowadays connected production is not an option, but a must.